2022-2023 Operational Policy & Procedures
Full-Time Student Loans and Grants
- Applying for Student Loans and Grants
- Alberta.ca Account
- Application Deadline
- Application Details
- After Applying
- Confirmation of Registration (COR)
- Service Providers
- Student Aid Agreements/Master Student Financial Assistance Agreements (MSFAAs)
- Application Changes
- Request for Reconsideration (RFR)
- Switching Educational Institutions
- Changes to End Dates
- Amended Registration
- Withdrawal Policy for Students Attending Alberta Private Career Colleges (licensed under the Private Vocational Training Act)
- After Registration is Amended (All Institutions)
- Request for Emergency Processing
- Tax Forms
- Releasing Personal Information and Authorizing Others to Act on Your Behalf
- Submitting Forms
Request for Emergency Processing
Alberta Student Aid handles all student emergency situations for federal or provincial funding. When considering emergencies, the following types of questions will be asked:
- Can the request be considered? Has the student received the maximum funding already?
- refer to the Annual Loan Limits and Lifetime Loan Limits for more information
- Has the student’s situation changed since the original application?
- Is the situation beyond the student’s control?
- Can the student receive financial assistance from others?
- Are there other sources of income that can be used to meet the shortfall?
Examples of emergency situations include:
- student has no safe accommodation (e.g., due to a disaster such as a fire or due to fleeing an abusive situation)
- there is a threat to the student’s health or safety (e.g., no heating source in winter weather)
- student aid was cancelled in error, or
- student requires prescriptions and cannot afford to pay for them.
An educational institution asking for an up-front tuition payment is not considered an emergency. The student should negotiate a payment plan with the school.
Emergency requests are acted upon within 3 to 5 business days of receipt of necessary information.