Student Eligibility

This chapter describes the Alberta Student Aid policies and procedures that determine a full-time student’s eligibility for loans and grants.


Citzenship and Immigration Status

Reg.: Schedule 2, ss. 1(2) and 1(3)

To be eligible for financial assistance through Alberta Student Aid, a student must either be a:

  • Canadian citizen, or
  • permanent resident of Canada, or
  • protected person, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada).

A student must have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) to be eligible for financial assistance from Alberta Student Aid. Students with questions about applying for a SIN may contact Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218.

Protected persons must be able to document that their protected person status is valid at the start of their current study period.

Protected persons must provide copies of the following documentation:

  • a temporary Social Insurance Number (SIN) card or confirmation of SIN letter showing a 900 series SIN number, and
  • a Notice of Decision issued by the Immigration and Refugee Board or Verification of Status document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Protected Persons Status Documents issued prior to January 2013 are acceptable as well.

Students with only a study permit or a work permit are not eligible for financial assistance from Alberta Student Aid.

Students must also meet Alberta residency criteria and other eligibility requirements to be eligible for student aid.