Quick Tips #1-25

#1 Name change

If you have changed your name since you last applied, you must submit a copy of one of the following:

For a legal name change:

  • The Legal Name Change document

For any other name change:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Divorce or Separation Papers
  • Driver’s License
  • Immigration Papers
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Passport
  • Statutory Declaration

#2 Protected Person Status

If you are a Protected Person, including Convention Refugee, you may be eligible for student aid. You must submit:

  • A copy of your Social Insurance Number card or letter

AND a copy of one of the following:

  • Notice of Decision, or
  • Verification of Status Document (VOS)

These documents must be valid at the start of your current study period.

#3 Provincial residency

In order for you to be eligible for funding from Alberta Student Aid, you must be considered a resident of Alberta. The rules are different for dependent and independent students. See pages 8-9 for the definitions of dependent and independent students.

If you are a dependent student, you are considered a resident if:

  • At least one parent lives in Alberta on the date in which your study period begins.

If you are an independent student, you are considered a resident if:

  • Alberta is the last province you have lived in for 12 consecutive months without being a full-time post-secondary student, or
  • You are attending school in Alberta and have never lived in any Canadian province for 12 months in a row. In this case, submit a Residency Resumé form and/or a letter to explain your residency situation.

Residence Eligibility

You cannot receive student aid from both Alberta and another province or territory for the same time period.

#4 Alberta Student Number

You must enter an Alberta Student Number to apply for Alberta Student Aid.

  • You must enter your ASN on your application. You can find your ASN on your Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement.

  • If you do not know your ASN or need to have an ASN assigned (if you moved to Alberta from another province or country), look up or request an ASN at ae.alberta.ca

  • You can also call and ask for a Request for Alberta Student Number form. Due to protection of privacy reasons, ASN's will not be given over the telephone call. Call:
    - Edmonton Local: 780-427-5318
    - Toll free in Alberta: 310-0000

#5 Total income

Total Income, Line 15000 of 2019 income tax return or Expected Reduced Yearly Income is used to determine eligibility for federal grants, federal parent contribution amounts, and the Alberta Student Grant. The lesser income amount is used in the calculation.

Independent Student Information

If you are an independent student, your total income is used. If you have not filed your income tax return, enter an estimate of your 2019 total income.

Dependent Student Information

If you are a dependent student, your parents’ (and step-parents’) total income is used to determine eligibility for certain loans and grants.  To be considered, answer 'yes' to the question 'I wish to be considered for federal grants and loans, and the Alberta Student Grant', and complete Part B of Schedule 1: Parental Information on your original Application for Financial Assistance. If you choose 'no', you may be considered for Alberta student loans only.

Spouse/Partner Information

The Canada Student Loans Program does not expect spouses/partners to contribute financially to your post-secondary education for 2020-21.

Grant Eligibility

The Total Income you enter from Line 15000 of your 2019 income tax form or Expected Reduced Yearly Income affects your grant eligibility for federal grants and the Alberta Student Grant.

The income amount entered for Total Income and Expected Reduced Yearly Income affects grant eligibility. If a change to these amounts is submitted after any portion of funding has been paid, grant eligibility will not be reassessed.

#6 Indigenous Heritage

Advanced Education uses the personal information of Canadian First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students (as indicated under Section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982) to measure the effectiveness of student aid programs and to research ways to improve Indigenous student success rates.

Declaring your Indigenous heritage is optional. If you declare your Indigenous status on your original application, your eligibility for federal student aid may increase.

#7 Youth in Government Care

If you declare your status as a current or former youth in government care on your original application, your eligibility for federal student aid may increase. Declaring this information is optional.

You may be eligible for the Advancing Futures Bursary; go to alberta.ca.

#8 Attending more than one school

Are you simultaneously attending more than one school on a part-time basis? You may be eligible for full-time student aid as a concurrently enrolled student.

If you are a concurrently enrolled student, you must apply with a paper application and complete Schedule 3: Concurrent Enrolment/Exchange Field Study Programs, Part 1. You must provide the name of each institution you plan to attend and choose one of them to be your 'primary institution' Your primary institution will be responsible for confirming your registration. The other institution(s) will be your 'additional institutions'.

You must also submit the course names and numbers, start and end dates, all associated costs, and course weights (preferably in credits). You will be considered concurrently enrolled if the course weights from each institution add up to a full-time course load. If you have any questions, talk to an advisor at your primary institution.

Full-time Status

If you are registered in at least 60% of a full course load at your primary institution, you do not need to submit a Schedule 3. Instead, apply for full-time funding and only list your primary institution. If you are taking courses at other institutions, submit documentation so these costs can be considered.

Upgrading Credits

You cannot count credits from high school upgrading courses towards a full-time course load.

#9 Program name

Enter the actual name of the program you will be enrolled in as printed in your institution program calendar.

Program Specialization/Major
Enter the actual name of the specialization/major that corresponds to your program as printed in your institution program calendar.

Example 1:
Program: Bachelor of Arts
Program Specialization/Major: Philosophy

Example 2:
Program: Apprenticeship
Program Specialization/Major: Welding

#10 Completion Date

Will you complete your program by the period of study end date?

Select 'Yes' if you expect to meet your graduation requirements by the period of study end date on this application.

You can still select 'Yes' if your convocation ceremony will occur after your period of study end date.

#11 Dependent children information

There is a standard budget for child care expenses.

If you and/or your spouse/partner are expecting a child during the 2020-2021 loan year, advise Alberta Student Aid of the actual birthdate of your child by submitting a Level 1: Request for Reconsideration.

You may also qualify for the Childcare Subsidy Program from Alberta Children's Services.

#12 Child support payments

Do not enter child care costs in this field.

  • In order for child support to be considered, you must provide a copy of the Court Order and:
    • proof of payment for the past four months, or
    • a copy of Maintenance Enforcement records showing the child support
  • If no legal documentation is available, you can provide proof of payment and signed statements from both parties detailing child support.

#13 Voluntary contributions from parents

Enter the monthly amount for any money you receive from an RESP. Although contributions based on parental income are not required by Alberta Student Aid, you must report any funding you expect your parents will voluntarily provide.

#14 Employment Insurance

If you are receiving Employment Insurance (EI benefits) and want to keep receiving this benefit while in school, you should get approval from Alberta Community and Social Services before your studies begin. Some students may not be eligible to keep EI benefits while attending school.

If you stop receiving EI benefits after applying for student aid, submit a Level 1: Request for Reconsideration.

#15 Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped

If you receive AISH benefits to cover your living costs, you will be considered for the cost of tuition, mandatory fees and books/supplies.

#16 Alberta Works Income Support Benefits

If you expect to receive Alberta Works Income Support Benefits while attending school, you must enter the full monthly amount.

DO NOT include any other sources of income in this field.

You must also advise the Alberta Works Income Support program of your plan to receive student aid funding to attend studies. Your Alberta Works Income Support worker will be able to help you determine if you are eligible to continue receiving Alberta Works Income Support benefits while also receiving student aid funding.

#17 Indigenous Services Canada

Enter funding you receive from the:

  • Post-Secondary Student Support Program (PSSSP)
  • Métis Nation Post-Secondary Education Strategy
  • Inuit Post-Secondary Education Strategy to eligible First Nation, Métis, and Inuit students

#18 Income from other sources

Do not include federal COVID-19 supports; the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) and the Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG).

#19 Education costs for the 2020-21 study period

It is important that you enter all tuition, fees, books, supplies and instrument costs for all terms in the study period for which you are applying for student aid (e.g. Fall and Winter).

Costs for a full course load are determined by your school. If you have higher costs, you must provide documentation from your school.

#20 Computer costs

Enter your actual computer or computer-related costs (including internet) up to a maximum of $500.

#21 Non-registered investments

Includes mutual funds, GICs, stocks, bonds, ETF investments for you and your spouse/partner.

DO NOT include savings or any type of investment in your Registered Accounts: RRSPs, TFSAs, or LIRAs.

#22 Annual resources targeted to your education costs

If you receive gifts or financial contributions from individuals other than your parents, enter the amount in this field. Do not include savings, RRSPs, line of credit or any other resources reported on other fields of the application.

#23 Scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships

Scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships do not affect your eligibility for Alberta student loans and grants but are used to calculate your eligibility for Canada student loans and grants (an $1,800 exemption is applied).

#24 Requesting an amount

If you leave this field blank, Alberta Student Aid will do a calculation for you and you will receive the total amount for which you are eligible.

If you want to limit the amount of funding you receive, you may enter a lesser amount in this field.

#25 Keep all documents

You must be able to provide documents related to your costs and resources, if asked. The types of documents include:

  • Bank Statements
  • Rental / Lease documents
  • Utility receipts
  • All Tax Slips (T4, T4A, etc.), and documents that verify the value of the asset/ investment that generated the interest income, dividends and capital gains that you reported on your income tax return.