Designation for Student Loans and Grants
- Introduction to Designation
- Canada and Alberta Acts and Regulations
- General Program Designation Requirements
- Accelerated Programs
- Pan-Canadian Designation Policy Framework
- Obtaining Designation Status
- Requirements for Alberta Educational Institutions and Programs
- Alberta Private Career Colleges (PCCs)
- Change of Ownership
- Accredited Indigenous Post-Secondary Institutions in Alberta
- Accredited Divinity Programs
- Requirements for Programs at Educational Institutions Outside of Alberta
- Additional Requirements for Programs Delivered Online
- Maintaining Designation Status
- Contact Information – Designation Process and Policy Inquiries
Obtaining Designation Status
For information on the designation of programs offered at Alberta publicly-funded post-secondary institutions and private career colleges, please see the relevant sections in this chapter.
All other types of post-secondary programs in Alberta and for educational institutions/programs outside of Canada, designation must be applied for by the educational institution or a student. This is done by submitting a Request Designation Review form. Alberta Student Aid will notify the applicant of the designation request outcome approximately 6-8 weeks after receipt of the form. Post-secondary programs located outside of Alberta but within Canada must be designated by their own jurisdiction.
Note: Reviews can exceed the standard timelines in periods of high volumes and if additional information is required from either the student, the institution, or a jurisdictional partner.