This scholarship program is designed to reward Alberta post-secondary students enrolled in a recognized Alberta teacher preparation program taking courses that will allow them to teach languages other than English, including Indigenous languages in Alberta schools. The scholarship was created by an endowment from the Government of Alberta to the Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund to build provincial capacity in the area of language education.
16 scholarships of $2,500 each
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student's spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- be currently enrolled full-time in the final two years of a recognized Alberta teacher preparation program offered by an Alberta Faculty of Education.
- have attended fall and winter terms in the previous academic year.
Note: A student may only receive this scholarship once.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit to Alberta Student Aid:
- a completed application form, and
- a copy of their official post-secondary transcript
- Application is not available at this time.
Apply for this scholarship between August 1 to October 31.
The scholarship will be issued after Alberta Student Aid confirms the recipient's full-time enrolment at a post-secondary institution.
Students will be selected who are completing an education program that will allow them to be a language teacher in Alberta schools after graduation and who demonstrate academic excellence.
Application questions will be used in selection and language diversity is taken into consideration.
Many other scholarships and awards are offered by other organizations – we encourage you to visit Alberta’s public university and college websites to research the scholarships that they offer.
For more information, see Alberta post-secondary institutions.