This scholarship is named in honour of Dr. Robert and Anna Shaw, pioneers in the Sexsmith area. Dr. and Mrs. Shaw are remembered for their many volunteer commitments to the community including serving on the local Board of Trade, Town Council, School Board, teaching Sunday School and substituting for the minister. They were both willing to provide whatever assistance was needed to help others.
Three awards of $1,000
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- be a graduate from Sexsmith Secondary School in the current year,
- be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program related to agriculture, engineering, fine arts, health or the trades, and
- demonstrate a high academic standing in Grade 12.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a completed application form to Alberta Student Aid.
Apply for this scholarship between August 1 to October 31.
The scholarship will be issued after Alberta Student Aid confirms the recipient's full-time enrolment at a post-secondary institution.
The recipient will be selected on the basis of academic excellence as calculated from the final standings received in five eligible Grade 12 courses as recorded on an official Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement.
- One of: English 30, 30-1, 30-2 or Français 30-1, 30-2, and
- At least four of the following Grade 12 courses:
|• Mathematics 30-1||• Chemistry 30|
|• Mathematics 30-2||• Physics 30|
|• Science 30||• Social Studies 30, 30-1 or 30-2|
|• Biology 30||• A language other than the one listed above|
For more information, see Alberta post-secondary institutions.