The Canadian Oil Sands Network for Research and Development Scholarship recognizes the accomplishments of students in their final year of study at the undergraduate and graduate level and who are involved in projects that show commercial potential and/or relevance.
Two scholarships of $5,000 each are available.
- be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months
immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-
secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- be attending a post-secondary institution in Alberta,
- be currently enrolled full-time in their final year of study in a diploma, undergraduate degree, or graduate level program at a post-secondary institution in Alberta,
- be enrolled in a program of study relevant to oil sands technology development from mine or reservoir to tailings and remediation such as but not limited to Natural or Biological Sciences and Engineering, and
- achieve a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grade point scale.
How to Apply
Complete the application form and include the following:
- an official academic transcript,
- a one page summary of the project and its commercial potential, and
- a letter of support from at least one supervising professor or instructor, and if applicable a supporting letter by a sponsoring company.
Post-secondary students must contact their school to request their official transcripts. Your transcript must have an official signature or seal indicating that the transcript paper is issued by your school/institution. Photocopies and/or faxed copies will not be accepted.
The application is currently not available. Check back in early August.
October 31, 2020
The scholarship will be issued after Alberta Student Aid confirms the recipient’s full-time enrolment at a post-secondary institution.
Alberta Student Aid will review transcripts and applications and determine which students have developed and are working on technologies, innovations or processes with the highest probability of being commercially deployed within a reasonable time frame.
Many other scholarships and awards are offered by other organizations – and we encourage you to visit Alberta’s university and college websites to research the scholarships that they offer. For a listing of Alberta’s public post-secondary institutions, visit: