This scholarship honours the memory of Anna and John Kolesar, the parents of Dr. Henry Kolesar, Deputy Minister of Alberta Advanced Education from 1976 to 1987.
Longtime residents of the Millet area, the Kolesars were lifelong advocates of the importance of higher education, providing encouragement and support to all who chose academic pursuits. Originally from Hungary, Anna and John Kolesar arrived in Alberta in 1927, contributing much to their community and province in the many years they lived in Millet. Upon his retirement in 1987, Dr. Kolesar initiated the scholarship with a generous endowment supported by contributions from friends and colleagues.
One award of $1,500
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student's spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- be graduating from an Alberta high school in the current academic year,
- be from a family where neither parent obtained a university degree, and
- be enrolled full-time in a program of study in an Alberta publicly funded post-secondary institution in a Faculty of Education.
How to Apply
Students must submit completed application forms to Alberta Student Aid.
October 31, 2021
The scholarship will be issued after Alberta Student Aid confirms the recipient’s full-time enrolment in a Faculty of Education.
The recipient will be selected on the basis of academic excellence as calculated from the final standings received in three subjects as recorded on an official Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement. The subjects include:
- One of: English 30, English 30-1, 30-2 or Français 30-1, 30-2, and,
- Any two of the following:
|• Pure Mathematics 30||• Biology 30|
|• Applied Mathematics 30||• Chemistry 30|
|• Mathematics 31||• Physics 30|
|• Science 30||• Social Studies 30, 30-1 or 30-2|
|• Mathematics 30-1, or 30-2||• Or a language at the Grade 12 level
other than the one used above
In the event of a tie the applicant with the highest average of Diploma Examination marks for the qualifying courses will be selected.
For a listing of Alberta’s public post-secondary institutions, visit: