The Adult High School Equivalency Scholarship recognizes and rewards academic achievement in the attainment of high school equivalency and provides an incentive for mature students to continue their education at the post-secondary level.
Up to 200 awards of $500 each are available.
- be a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student's spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- have been out of high school for a minimum of three (3) years before starting a high school equivalency program,
- have completed a high school equivalency program after September 1, 1992 in which the applicant obtained an average of at least 80%. If the school issues marks in Grade Point Average (GPA), then a GPA of 3.0 or greater (on a 4.0 GPA scale).
- be currently enrolled full-time in a post-secondary institution in Alberta or elsewhere, and
- have obtained a signed nomination by the head of the institution at which the applicant completed their high school equivalency program.
How to Apply
The applicant must include with their application the following:
- an official transcript of the high school equivalency program taken, and
- a nomination letter from the institution where the high school equivalency program was completed. The letter must include the date, name and signature of the nominating institution official.
- Application - Adult High School Equivalency Scholarship
January 15, 2022
Students will receive their awards after Alberta Student Aid confirms full-time enrollment at a post-secondary institution.
Recipients are selected based on academic achievement in their high school equivalency program.
For a listing of Alberta’s public post-secondary institutions, visit: