These scholarships recognize the excellence of students from the Jan Pawel II Polish Bilingual Program of Edmonton Catholic Schools, and assists them in continuing their education at the post-secondary level. The program was named in memory of Maria Sava, who was instrumental in establishing the bilingual program and taught at the school for over 20 years.
5 scholarships of $1,000
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student's spouse/partner is an Alberta resident.
- have taken all of Grades 7, 8 and 9 at Jan Pawel II school,
- have graduated in the current academic year, and
- be enrolled full-time in any program of study at the post-secondary level.
How to Apply
Students must submit completed application forms to Alberta Student Aid.
Apply for this scholarship between August 1 to October 31.
The scholarship will be issued after Alberta Student Aid confirms the recipient’s full-time enrolment at a post-secondary institution.
The five recipients are selected on the basis of academic excellence as calculated from the final standings in five courses in Grade 12 using the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship course criteria as recorded on an official Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement:
One of: English 30, English 30-1, 30-2 or Français 30-1, 30-2, and,
At least two of:
Any other two courses with a minimum five credit value at the Grade 12 level (3000 or 6000 or 9000 series) including those listed above and combined advanced CTS courses.
Many other scholarships and awards are offered by other organizations – and we encourage you to visit Alberta’s public university and college websites to research the scholarships that they offer.
For more information, see Alberta Post-secondary institutions.