The scholarship was established by Mrs. Minnie Mehl through Alberta Student Aid. Mrs. Mehl wanted to help Alberta after many wonderful years as a teacher, wife and valued community member.
One award of $3,500
Students must be:
- a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident of Canada,
- an Alberta resident,
- have completed Grade 12 in Alberta at a school that follows the Alberta Education Curriculum, and
- must be continuing their studies at a degree granting post-secondary school in Canada.
Recipients are selected from applications received for an Alexander Rutherford Scholarship. A separate application is not required.
Grade 12 high school students are ranked according to the same criteria as for the Rutherford Scholars as determined on the first writing of Diploma Examinations in the following courses:
- One of English Language Arts 30-1, 30-2, or
- Français 30-1
- Social Studies 30, 30-1 or 30-2
Plus any three other subjects:
- Mathematics 30-1 or 30-2
- French Language Arts 10-1
- Biology 30
- Chemistry 30
- Physics 30 or
- Science 30
For more information, see Alberta post-secondary institutions.