The Alberta Junior Athletic Award recognizes and rewards junior athletes and provides an incentive for athletes to continue with their post-secondary education.
$1,000 up to $2,000
The award allocation varies, as follows:
- Alberta Junior Football teams - 30 awards
- Friends of Alberta Junior Hockey Society - 10 awards
- Prairie Baseball Academy - 30 awards
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load for the term.
- have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- be a participant in one of the following junior sports teams:
- Alberta junior hockey team
- Alberta junior football team
- Prairie Baseball Academy
Students in upgrading or college preparation programs may be eligible after completing one term of upgrading provided they meet the athletic requirements. Apprenticeship students may be eligible after completing one term of an apprenticeship program.
How to Apply
Submit your application to your team coach. You must include:
- a current official transcript, and
- an essay outlining your extracurricular activities and future goals.
The application for this award is not available. Please check back in early August.
Team coaches of the above designated sports teams in Alberta will nominate and select athletes based on their academic standing, community involvement and athletic achievements. Alberta Student Aid will confirm full-time enrollment prior to issuing payment.