The Alberta Junior Athletic Award recognizes and rewards junior athletes and provides an incentive for athletes to continue with their post-secondary education.
$1,000 up to $2,000
The award allocation varies, as follows:
- Alberta Junior Football teams - 30 awards
- Friends of Alberta Junior Hockey Society - 10 awards
- Prairie Baseball Academy - 30 awards
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load for the term.
- have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in the previous term of study.
- be a participant in one of the following designated junior sports teams:
- Alberta Junior Hockey or Football team
- Prairie Baseball Academy
- be currently enrolled as a full-time student in the current academic year for both fall and winter terms at a post-secondary institution in Alberta.
Students in upgrading or college preparation programs may be eligible after completing one term of upgrading provided they meet the athletic requirements. Apprenticeship students may be eligible after completing one term of an apprenticeship program.
How to Apply
Contact your team coach for the application deadline date.
Submit your application to your team coach. You must include:
- a current official transcript, and
- an essay outlining your extracurricular activities and future goals.
Team nomination deadline for submission to Alberta Student Aid:
January 15, 2023
Team coaches of the above designated sports teams in Alberta will nominate and select athletes based on their academic standing, community involvement and athletic achievements. Alberta Student Aid will confirm full-time enrollment prior to issuing payment.
Many other scholarships and awards are offered by other organizations – we encourage you to visit Alberta’s public university and college websites to research the scholarships that they offer.
For more information, see Alberta post-secondary institutions.