Alberta Athletic Award
The Alberta Athletic Award recognizes and rewards athletic participation at universities, colleges, and technical institutions in Alberta.
- be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student was enrolled full-time at a designated post-secondary institution for two consecutive terms during an academic year, or
- the student’s spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- be enrolled in the second or subsequent term of an undergraduate or professional program at an eligible publicly funded institution in Alberta in the current academic year.
- be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load for the term. Institutions may determine what constitutes a full-time course load in each of its programs.
- be registered in the required course load in the current fall and/or winter term. A term is defined as a study period of up to 17 weeks in length.
- have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Students in upgrading or college preparation programs may be eligible after completing one term of upgrading but are only eligible for the award for a maximum of one year, provided they meet the athletic requirements. Students must participate on a sport team designated by the Alberta College Athletic Conference (ACAC) or the Alberta University Athletic Association (AUAA).
Apprenticeship students may be eligible after completing one period of an apprenticeship program. The student must show progress in their apprenticeship program.
Submit your application to your post-secondary school team coach.
Athletic departments at your school will select and pay eligible athletes for this award. Equal selection of male and female athletes is to be maintained where possible.
For more information, see Alberta post-secondary institutions.