School and Program Eligibility

To be eligible to apply for Student Aid, both the post-secondary program and school must be designated.

A program is designated if it meets specific federal and provincial designation criteria.

For the full list of designation criteria, see the Student Aid Policy Manual:

Check to see if the school you plan to attend is designated for student aid using the School and Program Eligibility search.

Programs that are not eligible for Student Aid:

Commercial Truck Driving Training or Class 1 Extended Driver Training
Programs that are less than 12 weeks in total length
  • The program length (total duration) of any designated program is at least 12 weeks. The program length is specified by the educational institution
Programs at Alberta private career colleges (licensed under the Private Vocational Training Act) that have less than 20 instruction/practicum hours in a typical school week 
Additional practical or professional training or exams offered by professional bodies, organizations or associations required to become accredited/approved/validated for the practice of any profession (e.g., medical residency, law articling, accounting designation, etc)
Adult Basic Education
High School Equivalency
College Preparatory or upgrading courses
Literacy Training
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
English as a Second Language
Personal or professional development programs, hobby, self-interest or “Continuing Education” or other programs that do not lead to a credential

Work Integrated Learning

You may be eligible for student aid when you are enrolled in a work integrated learning experience (includes internships, co-ops, practicums, etc.) so long as the work learning experience is integrated into a designated program of study. The learning experience is considered integrated when:

  • you must complete the work learning component to receive your degree, diploma or certificate, and
  • the school considers you to be enrolled during this work learning component.

Exchange/Field Study

If you are participating in an exchange or field study program, you must submit:

  • Part 2 (Exchange/Field Study) of the Schedule 3 form, and
  • a letter of confirmation from the home institution or an acceptance letter from the host institution

The letter should confirm the actual start and end dates of the exchange or field study program and list costs for tuition, mandatory fees, and book costs.

If you are planning to study outside Canada, go to: