Studying Outside Canada

A major decision like studying outside of Canada can require a lot of preparation. Here are a few things to know before you apply for student aid: 

  • Studying abroad can be costly. Alberta Student Aid has maximum limits on the amount of funding you may receive.
  • It’s a good idea to find out whether the credential you expect to receive is recognized by appropriate accreditation bodies and prospective employers in the country you intend to work in after graduation.

  • Alberta Student Aid is not able to deposit your funds into a foreign bank account, so you will need to provide us with a Canadian bank account that you hold, or jointly hold, in order to have your funds deposited.
  • You will not have access to your funds until the day your program starts. Be prepared and let your school know your funds for tuition and books will not be released until your school confirms attendance and you start classes. 

  • You will receive a Confirmation of Registration worksheet. Your school must complete and return the worksheet to Alberta Student Aid. You must also complete your Alberta Student Aid Agreement or your Canada Master Student Financial Assistance Agreements (MSFAA) before your funds can be released to you as of your start date. See instructions on completing your loan agreements at:

Exchange Rates - Calculating and Submitting Your Costs

You must submit your costs and resources in Canadian dollars when you apply for student aid. The Canadian dollar amounts you submit must have already factored in the exchange rate.

Field Studies or Exchange Programs

If you are studying outside of Canada and are asked to pay tuition to your school located in Canada, you’ll need to complete Part 2 of Schedule 3. You can find Schedule 3 in the Resources section:

Power of Attorney

Alberta Student Aid recommends students studying abroad select a person to take care of their financial affairs while they are out of the country. This can be done by assigning power of attorney. You can relax and focus on your studies when someone is authorized to act on your behalf regarding your student aid.

Some instances when power of attorney may be used are:

  • Sign and deposit cheques made payable to you
  • Access information relating to your student aid
  • Make decisions on your behalf concerning your student aid

You may want to submit the Power of Attorney for Alberta student loans form. The forms typically used by lawyers are acceptable, however it may take longer for Alberta Student Aid to complete a review. A power of attorney remains in effect until you either revoke or cancel it.

You can find the Power of Attorney for Alberta student loans form in the Resources section:

You will have to submit a separate Power of Attorney form to the National Student Loans Service Centre for your Canada student loans.