Required Documentation

Some changes to your application require additional documentation. Review the information below to ensure you submit the correct information to support your Request for Reconsideration.

If the required documentation is not received with your request, Student Aid will be unable to process your request in a timely manner. 

Required documentation for Making Changes to:

Making Changes to Personal Information

Legal Name Change
  • Legal Name Change document
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce/Separation papers
  • Driver's License
  • Passport
Change in Marital Status
  •   Marriage certificate
  •   Divorce/Separation papers
  •   Letter stating date of separation
  •   Driver’s license
  •   Passport

Making Changes to Study Information

Change in Full-time or Part-time study information  

Official documentation from your school indicating your program, specialization, program outcome, program term dates, and a breakdown of your tuition, mandatory fees, and books/supplies.


Extension of study end dates  

Medical documentation AND confirmation from your school confirming that your study period end date has been extended. The maximum extension permitted for medical reasons is 30 days.


Concurrent Enrolment/Exchange-Field Study Program                   

Schedule 3 - for Concurrent Enrolment/Exchange-Field Study Programs:

Aviation or Private Pilot License Program  

Aviation Training Form:

Making Changes to Monthly Costs or Resources

Rent/Residence Fees/Mortgage and Utilities

Consideration may be given for rent, residence fees or mortgage costs, property taxes, condo fees, and basic utility payments.



  • Copies of rent/residence fees receipts or lease agreements
  • Mortgage agreements
  • Copies of basic utility bills (e.g. power, natural gas, water, sewer, garbage, phone). Cable, satellite, and internet are not considered basic utilities.


Additional travel costs may be considered for students when it is more economical to commute to school rather than relocate.



  • the distance from your residence to your school
  • receipts showing your basic vehicle insurance costs (PL/PD only)



Medical Expenses that are not covered through Alberta Health Care or your student health plan may be considered.



Provide receipts and associated medical documentation.

Student Loan Payments made by your spouse/partner

If your spouse/partner is currently repaying a government student loan, the cost of those payments may be considered.



Provide a statement from the service provider confirming the amount of the monthly payments.

Child Support/Alimony you or your spouse/partner pay

Consideration may be given if you pay child or spousal/partner support.



  • Copy of the Court Order AND
  • Proof of payment for the past 4 months, or
  • Maintenance Enforcement records showing the child support and/or alimony payments.

When legal documentation is not available, provide:

  • Proof of payment for the past 4 months, AND
  • signed statements from both parties confirming child support and/or alimony arrangements. 
Indigenous Services Canada/Band Funds   Provide confirmation from the band stating the monthly amount and whether the band will cover tuition, fees, and books.

Making Changes to Dependent Information

Childcare Costs  

Childcare receipt/statement


Dependent Children over the age of 18


If attending regular high school, provide a letter from the school confirming enrolment.

If permanantly disabled, provide medical documentation showing your child requires special daily care.


Legal Guardianship   Legal guardianship papers verifying custody of the additional dependent(s) you are now claiming.


Disabled Child Aged 13 - 18   Provide medical documentation showing that your child requires special daily care.