Part-Time Students

You are a part-time student if you are registered in less than 60% of a full course load in post-secondary studies. Because Student Aid does not determine course loads, you must check with a student/disability advisor at your school about how many courses you need to take to be considered part-time.

If you are registered in post-secondary and upgrading courses, but you are not considered a full-time student with only your post-secondary courses, you will need to submit a part-time application.

If you are enrolled in more than 1 course and the courses are at different schools, submit a separate part-time application for each school.

If you are taking enough courses at different schools to be considered full-time, submit a full-time application as a concurrently enrolled student. To learn more about concurrently enrolled status, see page 21, #8 in our guide to complete the application. The Student Loans & Grants Funding Guide is available in the Resources for Students section:

For more information on part-time funding, see Chapter 3 of the Operational Policy & Procedure Manual:


Financial Eligibility
Part-time student aid eligibility is based on your income. If you are married, your spouse's/partner’s income is also considered when calculating the family’s income.

The following costs are considered when determining part-time eligibility:

    • tuition and mandatory fees
    • books, supplies and instruments
    • disability-related costs (if required)
    • transportation - $50 per month (if required)
    • childcare - (if required) provide receipts if you need more than $75 per month, per child

Transportation and childcare costs are not considered if you are in a correspondence or distance learning course.


Student Eligibility
You must either:

    • be a Canadian citizen
    • be a permanent resident, or
    • have protected person status (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act)

You must also be an Alberta resident. Alberta must be the last province you have lived in for 12 consecutive months, while you were not a full-time post-secondary student.

Program Eligibility

You must be taking post-secondary courses that are part of a designated program of studies. Learn more at:


Type of Funding for Part-Time Students

Part-time Canada Student Loan

    • Up to $10,000

Canada Student Grant for Part-time Studies

    • Up to $900 per semester to a maximum of $1,800 per loan year

Canada Student Grant for Part-time Students with Dependants

    • $40 per week for 1-2 children, $60 per week for 3 or more children

Alberta Part-time Grant

    • Up to $600 per semester to a maximum of $1,800 per loan year

You cannot receive both the Canada Student Grant for Part-time Studies and the Alberta Part-time Grant for the same semester. 


Part-Time Application Timelines

The maximum length of time a student can apply for on an application is 12 months. If a study period exceeds 12 months in length, the student must submit two separate part-time applications.

When a student has a break in studies of 30 days or more, a new part-time application is required. 


How to Apply

The part-time application must be printed, completed by you and your school, and mailed to Alberta Student Aid. Faxed, scanned, or uploaded application forms are not accepted.

Access the Part-time Application at: