Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship - Study Outside Alberta
Established in honour of Louise McKinney, the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship recognizes and rewards students for their academic achievements and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate program of study.
Up to 1,400 scholarships are awarded annually.
A nominee must:
- be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be continuing their full-time studies at a post-secondary institution located outside of Alberta, in the second or subsequent year of a full-time undergraduate or professional program:
- the program of study must not be offered in Alberta, and
- the student’s class standing is in the top two per cent of their program enrolment.
- Students are not eligible for a Louise McKinney Scholarship if they:
- are in a graduate program,
- are enrolled part-time,
- are an apprentice, or
- are upgrading.
Nominations are based on academic standing and the scholarship policy of the institution. Questions with respect to the scholarship policy of each institution should be directed to the Student Awards Office. Students who plan to change educational institution or program should contact the Awards Office at the institution they are currently attending to determine their eligibility.
Students studying outside of Alberta are nominated by the Student Awards Offices at participating public post-secondary schools. Students must contact the Student Awards offices at their schools for application deadlines.
Students studying outside of Alberta must submit:
- an academic transcript of their previous year of study with documentation indicating their class standing, and
- a completed application form.
Your transcript must have an official signature or seal indicating that the transcript paper is issued by your school/institution. Photocopies and/or faxed copies will not be accepted.
Post-secondary students must contact their school to request their official transcripts.
- Nomination Form - Louise McKinney Scholarship (for Study Outside Alberta)
The award will be disbursed in November after Student Aid Alberta confirms full-time enrollment in post-secondary studies.