Notice: As of Dec. 1, 2015, Student Aid Alberta will no longer accept scholarship applications dropped off in person.
If you have questions, contact the Student Aid Alberta Service Centre:
Search alphabetically, by keyword, or by audience.
Alberta Award for the Study of Canadian Human Rights and Multiculturalism
In recognition of Alberta's centennial and the contributions and experiences of our diverse population, the Minister of Community Development established the Alberta Award for the Study of Canadian Human Rights and Multiculturalism. This award is funded by an endowment from the Human Rights Education and Multiculturalism Fund and public contributions made in memory of Pardeep Singh Gundara. Mr. Gundara was a lifelong champion of human rights.
For additional information on Mr. Gundara:
To encourage graduate studies that will create value for Albertans by:
- promoting informed thinking about Canadian human rights, cultural diversity and multiculturalism
- encouraging the pursuit of studies in Canadian human rights, cultural diversity and multiculturalism, and
- building capacity to undertake human rights or multicultural work in Canada
Two awards available each year: Master's level award is $10,000 and Doctoral level award is $15,000.
Applicants must be:
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- enrolled or planning to enrol as full-time graduate students (master's or doctoral level) at Alberta public post-secondary schools
- studying in programs that support the purpose of this scholarship, and
- planning to do research that is within a Canadian context and will ultimately benefit Albertans
Note: An applicant is only eligible to receive the award once. This scholarship is not open to students pursuing post-graduate studies.
A selection committee will choose the recipients and will consider each applicant's information as provided on the application form including the essay, curriculum vitae and other background. However, the essay is the most important component of the application and has the greatest impact on the committee's decision.
The application for this award is unavailable. The 2016-17 application will be available at the end of August.
Recipients may expect to receive their awards in October pending confirmation of enrollment in full-time graduate studies.
Audience: Graduate Students