Languages In Teacher Education Scholarship
This scholarship program is designed to reward Alberta post-secondary students enrolled in a recognized Alberta teacher preparation program taking courses that will allow them to teach languages other than English, including FNMI (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) languages in Alberta schools. This scholarship was created by an endowment from the Government of Alberta to the Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund to build provincial capacity in the area of language education.
A candidate must:
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person - visa students are not eligible,
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the nominee has lived for 12 consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be enrolled full-time in the final two years of a recognized Alberta teacher preparation program offered by an Alberta Faculty of Education.
Note: A student may only receive this scholarship once.
Recipients are nominated by the Faculty of Education at eligible post-secondary institutions. Institutions will select students who meet the eligibility criteria and who are completing an education program that will allow them to be a language teacher in Alberta schools after they graduate.