Notice: As of Dec. 1, 2015, Student Aid Alberta will no longer accept scholarship applications dropped off in person.
If you have questions, contact the Student Aid Alberta Service Centre:
Search alphabetically, by keyword, or by audience.
Laurence Decore Awards for Student Leadership
The Laurence Decore Award for Student Leadership honours Mr. Laurence Decore, former Edmonton mayor and leader of the Alberta Liberal Party.
The original proposal for the Student Leadership Awards was initiated by the Alberta College & Technical Institute Student Executive Council (ACTISEC). The Awards are intended to recognize post-secondary students who have demonstrated outstanding dedication and leadership to fellow students and to their community.
A nominee must:
- be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be currently enrolled full-time (a minimum 60% course load) in an undergraduate program at a designated Alberta post-secondary institution,
- be involved in either student government or student societies, clubs or organizations, or involved in student organizations at the provincial or national level or in non-profit community organizations,
- be selected by a Selection Committee at the educational institution.
Each post-secondary institution is responsible for establishing a Selection Committee to review applications. The Selection Committee will forward the names of successful candidates to Student Aid Alberta no later than February 15, 2017.
Include with your application:
- A detailed description of your involvement and accomplishments in student government or student societies, clubs or organizations, or student organizations at the provincial or national level or in non-profit community organizations, and
- A related letter of reference.