Fellowship for Full-time Studies in French
Funded by the federal department of Canadian Heritage and administered by Alberta Advanced Education, the fellowship is designed to assist Alberta students pursuing post-secondary studies taught in French.
$500 or $1,000
- be either a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or a Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be registered full-time in a post-secondary program - full-time is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of a 60% course load, and
- be taking a minimum of three courses per semester in which the course content and the language of instruction are in French.
The Fellowship has a minimum value of $500 per semester. A student who meets the course requirement for two semesters will receive a full fellowship of $1,000. Depending on funds available from the federal department of Canadian Heritage an additional fellowship, the Roger Mahé Memorial Award, may be awarded.
Awards are valued at $500 per semester, and recipients are selected based on academic achievement during the previous year of postsecondary study. In previous years the GPA on a 4.0 scale has been in the range of 3.7 and above. The number of awards offered is dependent on the amount of funding available from Canadian Heritage.
Include with your application an official academic transcript if you attended post-secondary studies in the previous academic year. Students entering the first year of a post-secondary program directly from an Alberta high school do not need to send a high school transcript.
Post-secondary students must contact their school to request their official transcripts. Your transcript must have an official signature or seal indicating that the transcript paper is issued by your school/institution. Photocopies and/or faxed copies will not be accepted.
Note: You must apply each year for the fellowship as it is not automatically renewed.
Confirmation of your courses are verified by Student Aid Alberta in February for both the fall and winter semesters.
The award is usually paid in March.