Dr. Robert and Anna Shaw Citizenship Award
This scholarship is named in honour of Dr. Robert and Anna Shaw, pioneers in the Sexsmith area. Dr. and Mrs. Shaw are remembered for their many volunteer commitments to the community including serving on the local Board of Trade, Town Council, School Board, teaching Sunday School and substituting for the minister. They were both willing to provide whatever assistance was needed to help people with their problems.
The Dr. Robert and Anna Shaw Citizenship scholarship recognizes the academic and leadership accomplishments of students graduating from Sexsmith Secondary School entering the fields of agriculture, engineering, fine arts or the trades.
Three awards of $500
• be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
• be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
• graduate from Sexsmith Secondary School in the current academic year,
• plan to enroll or be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program related to agriculture, engineering, fine arts or the trades,
• demonstrate a high academic standing in their Grade 12 year, and
• demonstrate outstanding qualities in the areas of leadership, community spirit, involvement in extracurricular activities and a commitment to place the welfare of others above their own needs.
The selection committee will select recipients on the basis of demonstrated leadership, community involvement and participation in extracurricular activities.
Applicants must submit the following:
- a completed application form, and
- a summary of their leadership activities, community involvement and extracurricular activities that demonstrate community spirit and concern for others.
- Application - Dr. Robert and Anna Shaw Citizenship Award
Students will be notified of the status of their application in September and the awards are issued in November after Student Aid Alberta confirms full-time enrolment of the successful candidates.