Notice: As of Dec. 1, 2015, Student Aid Alberta will no longer accept scholarship applications dropped off in person.
If you have questions, contact the Student Aid Alberta Service Centre:
Search alphabetically, by keyword, or by audience.
Dr. Gary McPherson Leadership Scholarship
Dr. Gary McPherson was a renowned advocate for people with disabilities. He devoted himself to inspiring leadership and bringing out the best in everyone. He was a member of the Order of Canada, the Alberta Order of Excellence and both the Edmonton and Alberta Sports Halls of Fame. This scholarship recognizes students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, especially in the area of disability, and/or initiative to improve the conditions and lives of others.
100 awards of $2,000 each
- be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program: undergraduate, professional, graduate, apprenticeship, diploma or certificate program at a designated Alberta institution in the year of nomination, and
- have shown outstanding leadership, especially in the area of disability, and/or initiative to improve the lives of other people while attending a post-secondary institution in Alberta.
Each institution will establish a selection committee with appropriate expertise. This committee may be the same as used for other institutional awards. The committee will consider the role and contribution each applicant has made at their school. The selection committee may also take into consideration marks, financial need, and other activities as secondary selection criteria. The Selection Committee will forward the names of the succcessful candidates to Student Aid Alberta no later than February 15, 2017.
Include with your completed application:
- a resume highlighting your leadership involvement and other activities related to improving the lives of other people,
- a related letter of reference, and
- an essay of up to a maximum of 1,000 words - please refer to page 2 of the application for details.