Keyera Energy - Peter J. Renton Memorial Scholarship
Established in memory of Peter J. Renton who, during a career in the energy sector that spanned 40 years, recognized that environmental protection, social responsibility and a competent and experienced workforce are essential components of a successful business. He also believed in life long learning that builds upon education and experience.
The scholarship is intended to assist and encourage Alberta students to pursue full-time studies in a post-secondary program in a field related to the oil and gas industry.
Maximum value is $6,000 - $3,000 for the first year of study and $3,000 for the second year of study providing the recipient maintains a 3.0 GPA, out of 4, in their second year of study with a minimum course load of three courses per semester.
• be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
• be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
• have completed the requirements for high school graduation in Alberta,
• plan to enroll full-time in an accredited Alberta post-secondary institution in the first year of a degree or diploma program in a field of study supporting the oil and gas industry, including but not limited to: business, communications, sciences and engineering, technical programs, information technology and the trades, and
• must maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA), out of 4, in their second year of study and a course load of three courses per semester in order to receive the second installment.
Note: Family of Keyera Energy employees are eligible to apply.
Student Aid Alberta will select an award recipient based on a combination of community service, employment, athletics, leadership and/or academic achievement.
Submit a completed application during your last year of high school and include with your application the following:
- Your answers to the questions in Part 1 of the application.
- A typed statement in Part 2 of the application on how you would compare your personality and characteristics to those of Peter J. Renton.
- References in Part 3:
- One reference from the School Principal or school representative.
- Two other references, ideally one reference from a teacher, counselor or coach, and one other reference from someone who is not connected with the school, e.g. employer, mentor, representative from a volunteer organization.