Maria Sava Polish Heritage Awards and Scholarships
These scholarships recognize the excellence of students from the Jan Pawel II Polish Bilingual Program of Edmonton Catholic Schools and assist them in continuing their education at the post-secondary level. The program was named in memory of Maria Sava, who was instrumental in establishing the bilingual program and taught at the school for over 20 years.
5 scholarships of $1,000
• be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
• be an Alberta resident and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time post-secondary student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
• have taken all of Grades 7, 8 and 9 at Jan Pawel II school, and
• enroll full-time in any program of study at the post-secondary level.
Students normally apply in the year they graduate from high school. If a student misses the deadline they may apply in a subsequent year. Recipients can only receive this scholarship once.
The five recipients are selected on the basis of academic excellence as calculated from the final standings in five courses in Grade 12 using the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship course criteria as recorded on an official Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement:
One of: English 30, English 30-1, 30-2 or Français 30, 30-2, and,
At least two of:
Any other two courses with a minimum five credit value at the Grade 12 level (3000 or 6000 series) including those listed above and combined advanced CTS courses.
Applicants are notified of the status of their application in September. The scholarship is issued in November after Student Aid Alberta confirms the recipient’s full-time enrolment at a post-secondary institution.