Graduate Citizenship Award
The Graduate Citizenship Award recognizes graduate students who have demonstrated outstanding dedication and leadership to fellow students and to their community.
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Protected Person or international student,
- be living in Alberta at the time of the application deadline,
- be currently enrolled full-time (a minimum 60% course load) in at least one semester of study in a graduate program at one of the four Alberta universities in the year of application, and
- be involved at the university, municipal, provincial, national or international level or in non-profit community organizations.
Applicants who are currently receiving an honorarium for serving on committees may apply. An applicant cannot receive this award twice for the same service commitments used in a previously successful application. International students must identify activities that contribute to the Alberta community.
Applications meeting eligibility criteria are assessed by a committee designated by the Graduate Students Association at the applicant’s university. Successful applications are forwarded by the committee to Student Aid Alberta.
The committee assesses applications based on the following criteria:
- Strong record of student service and community engagement; demonstrated through active involvement in non-profit organizations at any level, which can include but are not limited to: student government and/or societies; clubs or organizations; community charitable and non-profit organizations.
- Submission of supportive letters of recommendation. The emphasis of these letters should be on the service and volunteer contributions of the applicant, rather than on academic or professional achievements.
Complete the application form, and include the following:
- Two (2) letters of support which addresses your service and community engagement efforts,
- Curriculum Vitae which provides a brief description of your responsibilities associated with each activity,
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status such as a copy of birth certificate or passport, or permanent resident card; copy of student visa if international student,
- Proof of Alberta residency such as government issued ID, a third party lease agreement, a letter from an Alberta based employer, a utility bill, etc. and,
- Confirmation of full-time enrollment.
Submit the application form and supporting documents to the Graduate Student Association (GSA).
Deadline for Students: Return the completed form to your Graduate Student Association Office by October 15, 2016.
Deadline for Schools: November 15, 2016.
The awards will be disbursed in December.
To learn more about the application and evaluation process, see:
Questions on the application and evaluation process should be directed to the GSA at your institution.
Contact: Student Aid Alberta Service Centre at 1-855-606-2096