Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship
Established in honour of Louise McKinney, the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship recognizes and rewards students for their academic achievements and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate program of study. Up to 1,400 scholarships are awarded annually.
A nominee must:
- be a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent or legal quardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- was married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
- be nominated at the school they most recently attended, and
- be continuing their full-time studies at an eligible school in Alberta in the second or subsequent year of a full-time undergraduate or professional program.
Students are not eligible for a Louise McKinney Scholarship if they:
- are in a graduate program
- are enrolled part-time
- are an apprentice, or
- are upgrading.
Nominations are based on academic standing and the scholarship policy of the institution. Questions with respect to the scholarship policy of each institution should be directed to the Student Awards Office. Students who plan to change educational institution or program should contact the Awards Office at the institution they are currently attending to determine their eligibility.
Students studying in-province are nominated by the Student Awards Offices at participating Alberta public post-secondary schools:
Students currently enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program at an eligible Alberta post-secondary institution are nominated for this scholarship by the Student Awards Office. To inquire about the deadline date and nomination process, contact the Student Awards Office.
Your transcript must have an official signature or seal indicating that the transcript paper is issued by your school/institution. Photocopies and/or faxed copies will not be accepted. Post-secondary students must contact their school to request their official transcripts.