Jason Lang Scholarship
Established in the memory of Jason Lang, a 17-year-old high school student who was killed in a school shooting. The scholarship recognizes and rewards Alberta post-secondary students for their academic achievements and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- Be an Alberta resident and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies.
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or professional program such as Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, or
Veterinary Medicine at a participating post-secondary educational institution in Alberta (students in graduate studies (Master's or Doctoral level) are not eligible),
- Be enrolled in a program of study which is a minimum of two years in length or greater, i.e. a program must
offer a minimum of four academic terms or 64 weeks of academic instruction, excluding work term and/or co-op, and
- Have completed at least 80% of a full course load and achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in the previous academic year (“qualifying year”) during the fall and winter semesters (excluding Spring or Summer courses).
Students who are nominated for a scholarship and transfer to a non-participating post-secondary institution are eligible to receive payment of the scholarship. Students must be continuing their full-time post-secondary studies in the current academic year and their school must provide confirmation of their full-time enrollment to Student Aid Alberta.
Students are not eligible for a Jason Lang Scholarship if they:
- Are enrolled in a one year certificate program,
- Interrupt their post-secondary studies for more than one semester in the next academic year,
- Are recipients of a Louise McKinney Scholarship for the same period of study, or
- Have received the lifetime maximum of three Jason Lang Scholarships.
Nominees must be enrolled at eligible Alberta public post-secondary schools (includes publicly-funded colleges, technical institutes, universities and private colleges accredited to grant degrees). View the full list at:
For more on eligibility for this scholarship, refer to:
Students who meet the eligibility criteria are nominated by the Student Awards Office at the Alberta post-secondary institution where they completed their qualifying year of studies.
Submit your completed application form to the Student Awards Office at your educational institution.