Dr. Robert Norman Shaw Scholarship
This scholarship is named in honour of Dr. Robert Norman Shaw, a pioneer in the Sexsmith area. Dr. Shaw is remembered for his contributions to the community as a doctor, engineer, veterinarian and coroner. The Dr. Robert Norman Shaw scholarship recognizes and rewards the exceptional academic achievement of a student graduating from Sexsmith Secondary School and who is entering post-secondary studies in a health related field.
One award of $1,500
• be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
• be an Alberta resident and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent must currently be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months before being a full-time post-secondary student, or
- is married to an Alberta resident before the start of the qualifying year of study.
• graduate from Sexsmith Secondary School in the current academic year,
• plan to enroll or be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program related to health, and
• demonstrate a high academic standing in Grade 12.
The recipient will be selected on the basis of academic excellence as calculated from the final standings received in five eligible Grade 12 courses as recorded on an Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement.
One of: English 30, 30-1 or 30-2, or Français 30 or 30-2, and,
At least four of the following Grade 12 courses:
• Mathematics 30-1
• Mathematics 30-2
• Science 30
• Biology 30
• Chemistry 30
• Physics 30
• Social Studies 30, 30-1 or 30-2
• A language other than one listed above
Applicants must submit a completed application form to Student Aid Alberta.
Students will be notified of the status of their application in September and the awards are issued in November after Student Aid Alberta confirms full-time enrolment of successful candidates.