Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP)
The Repayment Assistance Plan is available for both Alberta and Canada student loans. If you are eligible for RAP, an affordable payment will be calculated based on your family size and income. Some borrowers will not need to make any monthly payments; others will make an affordable monthly payment. If you need to continue receiving repayment assistance, you have to re-apply for RAP every 6 months.
You could be eligible for RAP if:
- you are currently repaying an Alberta or Canada student loan
- your student loans are in good standing
- you are having difficulty making your payments. Use the estimator tool on the Government of Canada website to see if you might be eligible:
For Canada student loans, you must also be living in Canada.
If you are behind on your payments:
- ask for a reduced payment to be back dated for up to 6 months
- capitalize your interest charges by 3 months
You can apply anytime during your repayment term:
Students with Canada and Alberta student loans should apply for RAP online:
Use the RAP application available in the Resources section:
Students who only have Alberta student loans can contact the Student Aid Alberta Service Centre (SAASC):