Arrows orange Student Aid Alberta invests in Albertans.

graduatesStudent Aid Alberta helps you meet the basic costs of learning and living while you pursue your post-secondary education. Financial assistance is available to those who need it to ensure you can spend your time focusing on your studies, instead of your bills. 


You could be eligible for government student aid if:

You are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident and a resident of Alberta

Arrows orange For independent students

You are an Alberta resident if:

Am I an independent student?

Independent students meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • More than 22 years old
  • Out of high school for four years or more
  • Have been available for full time work for two or more years since leaving high school
  • Married or common law
  • Divorced, separated or widowed
  • Single (with dependent children)
  • you have lived, studied or worked in Alberta all your life; or
  • you have established residency by most recently living in Alberta for 12 consecutive months and have not been a full-time post-secondary student; or
  • you are not considered to be a resident of any other Canadian province but are attending a post-secondary institution in Alberta.

You could also qualify for student aid if you are a protected person under Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

Arrows orange For dependent students

You are an Alberta resident if at least one of your parents lives in Alberta. 

Your program and institution is approved

  • If you are applying online, you will see if your program or institution is listed. If it is not listed, you can complete this simple assessment to find out if your institution can be approved. Then, request a designation review by submitting this form or contact us for more information. 
  • Need to know more about studying outside of Canada?
    See Studying Outside of Canada Tipsheet
  • If you are applying using a print copy of the application form, tell us your institution and program name on the application.

You do not have enough money to cover basic costs

If you are like most students, you will use a range of financial resources to help you cover your costs, including student aid. Student Aid Alberta and the Canada Student Loans Program take into account  your costs and
your resources to determine your eligibility.  Give us as much information as possible on your application.

Other factors may also affect your eligibility, including your credit rating or if you already have student loans that are not in good standing.

Enrolled as a full-time or part-time student

Your post-secondary institution can help you figure out if you are studying as a full-time or part-time student.